Grosvenor Church has its roots in the early Christian Brethren movement.
Robert Chapman, a solicitor from London came to Devon and had ministered for ten years at the Ebenezer Baptist Chapel before establishing the work at Grosvenor Street in 1842.
In December, 1994 the Church moved house, having outgrown its old premises. What was once a railway goods shed is now a building accommodating a wide range of facilities, with extensive parking. It is on Old Station Road, adjacent to Eastern Avenue, one of the main roads into Barnstaple from the North Devon Link road. The church is free and independent, regarding itself in communion with the one universal church, based on the premise that the only source of faith and practice is the Bible, God’s authoritative word. It is a member of the Evangelical Alliance and Partnership UK.
- the centrality of Christ and the cross
- Scripture as the basis of faith and practice
- spiritual vitality in congregations and their people
- open-heartedness towards all committed Christians, local churches and para-church bodies
- evangelism at home and abroad
- action and outreach to benefit our local communities
- conversion, believer’s baptism and regular communion
- plural/team leadership and the wide use of spiritual gifts and abilities of all. Partnership is in no sense a denominational body and does not aspire to be. Partnership does not impose a party line on their churches on any matter of church practice. Their member churches are wholly self-governing and it is for them to decide their stance on issues.